- Do you think having a hobby is good for a person’s social life?
- Do you think there are any negative effects from spending too much time on your hobbies?
- Why do you think people really need to have an interest in something other than work?
- In your country, how much time do people spend at work, and how much time do they spend on leisure?
- Has the amount of free time people have in your country changed over the last 50 years?
- What benefits do ambitious people have?
- Do you think ambitious people get enough reward from society?
- What do you think ambitious people have to do to succeed?
- Do you think you are ambitious?
- Which kinds of jobs have the highest salary in your country?
- Are there any other jobs that you think should have high salaries?
- Some people say it would be better for society if everyone received the same salary. Do you agree with this?
- Are salaries for jobs that involve helping people generally too low?
- Do you enjoy giving gifts?
- On what occasions do family members give gifts to each other?
- What is the difference between the type of gifts given to children and the gifts given to adults in families?
- What types of gifts do people give to adults?
- What kind of gifts do children give to adults?
- Do you think adults appreciate gifts children made themselves more than gifts they bought in a shop?
- Is giving gifts important in families?
- What situations in business are there when people might give gifts?
- What type of gifts do businesses normally give to customers?
- In your country, do you think businesses spend a lot of money giving gifts to customers?
- How important is gift giving to a country’s economy?
- Do you think there is pressure on people to buy too many gifts?
- Do you think it would be better for society if all the money spent on society was spent helping poor people instead?
- Do you think people in society should be made to give money to help others?
- Is it better for people to give money or their time to help other people?
- Do you think schoolchildren should be made to help other people?
- In your opinion, do men show their emotions more than women?
- Is it a good idea to show your emotions when you are angry?
- Do people in your country usually show their emotions or try to hide them?
- Do emotional people make better friends?
- What kinds of book are most popular with children in your country?
- Why do you think some children do not read books very often?
- How do you think children can be encouraged to read more?
- Will reading become more or less popular in the future?
- Are there any occasions when reading at speed is a useful skill to have?
- Are there any jobs where people need to read a lot?
- Do you think that reading novels is more interesting than reading factual books?
- What are the most popular free-time activities with children today?
- Do you think the free-time activities children do today are good for their health?
- How do you think children’s activities will change in the future?
- How much time do children spend with their parents in your country?
- How important is it for parents and children to spend time together?
- Have relationships between parents and children changed in recent years?
- What kinds of things do children learn to do when they are very young?
- Do you think children and adults learn to do new things in the same way?
- What are the typical choices people make at different stages of their lives?
- Should important choices be made by parents rather than by young adults?
- Why do some people like to discuss choices with other people?
- What kind of choices do people have to make in their everyday life?
- Why do some people choose to do the same things every day?
- Do you think that people today have more choices to make today than in the past?
- Why do people need to travel every day?
- What problems can people encounter when they are on their daily journey?
- Some people say that daily commutes will not be as common in the future. Do you agree with this?
- What areas of a city do tourists usually like to visit?
- How important is it for local governments to look after popular tourist attractions?
- Should people have to pay to visit attractions such as museums and galleries?
- What can tourists learn from visiting new places?
- What can local people do to help tourists enjoy their visit?
- How should tourists behave when they are in a different country?
- Is it always in a country’s best interests to increase the number of tourists who visit?
- What are the main environmental problems in your country?
- Why should people be concerned about the environment?
- How can people protect the environment?
- Do you think money should be spent on protecting animals?
- Do you think more should be done to protect natural beauty spots in your country?
- What do most people do to keep fit in your country?
- How important is it for people to do some regular physical exercise?
- Why do some people think that modern lifestyles arc not healthy?
- Why do some people choose to lead unhealthy lives?
- Should individuals or governments be responsible for making people’s lifestyle healthy?
- What are the most popular kinds of TV programmes in your country?
- Do you think there are too many game shows on television nowadays?
- Do you think TV is the main way for people to get news in your country?
- Will the internet cause the end of television?
- In what ways are television programmes in your country now different to television programmes in the past?
- What foreign TV shows are popular in your country?
- What are the advantages of having foreign-made TV programmes on TV?
- What are the qualities of a good children’s television show?
- What are the educational benefits of children watching TV?
- Many people think that adults should influence what children watch. Do you agree with that?
- What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of having television broadcast 24 hours a day?
- In what ways have advances in technology influenced the way people watch TV?
- What changes do you think will occur in broadcast media in the next 20 years?
- In your country, what kind of people become famous?
- In your country, were people who became famous in the past, the same kind of people who become famous now?
- In the future, what kind of people do you think will be famous?
- Can you give me some examples of when famous people are used in advertisements?
- How are famous people used by advertisers these days?
- Do famous people always promote products related to their own profession?
- Does using celebrities in advertising produce negative effects on society?
- Can celebrities affect the way people vote?
- Do celebrities have an influence on young boys?
- How might celebrities be used to influence public opinion?
- Are there more advantages or disadvantages from being famous?
- Famous people are watched by a lot of people. What are the advantages and disadvantages of that?
- Why are people fascinated by trivial things in the media?
- How does the media in your country treat famous people?
- What kind of things give status to people in your country?
- Have the things that give status changed since your parents’ time?
- What sort of occasions do families and friends like to celebrate?
- Are there many differences between family parties and parties given by friends?
- Should people have time off work for important celebrations?
- How important are celebrations in people’s lives?
- What kind of national celebrations do you have in your country?
- Why do many people enjoy participating in national celebrations?
- Have national celebrations become more or less important over time?
- Who tends to enjoy national celebrations more: young people or old people?
- Why do you think some people think that national celebrations are a waste of government money?
- What sort of things do you think countries will celebrate in the future?
- Do you think advertising influences what people buy?
- How do you feel about the amount of advertising on television?
- What types of products are advertised most on television?
- Have you ever seen an advertisement that made you buy something?
- Do you think people pay attention to adverts on TV?
- Is it okay for advertisers to target children?
- Should television advertisements be regulated?
- In what ways has television advertising changed over the last ten years?
- What are the advantages of studying art?
- Do you think it is a good idea for children to study art?
- What are the different types of meeting that people often go to?
- Some people say that no-one likes to go to meetings – what do you think?
- Why can it sometimes be important to go to meetings?
- Why do you think world leaders often have meetings together?
- What possible difficulties might be involved in organising meetings between world leaders?
- Do you think that meetings between international leaders will become more frequent in the future?
- What kinds of machine are used for housework in modern homes in your country?
- How have these machines benefited people?
- Are there any negative effects of using them?
- Do you think all new homes will be equipped with household machines in the future?
- What kinds of equipment do most workers need to use in offices today?
- How have developments in technology affected employment in your country?
- Some people think that technology has brought more stress than benefits to employed people nowadays. Would you agree or disagree?
- Do you think there will be a greater choice of food available in shops in the future, or will there be less choice?
- What effects has modern technology had on the way food is produced?
- How important is it for a country to be able to grow all the food it needs, without importing any from other countries?
- In your country, do most grandparents live in the same house as their children and grandchildren?
- What are the advantages of grandparents living in the same house as their children and grandchildren?
- Do you think some people retire from their jobs too early?
- Why do you think some people feel unhappy when they first retire from their jobs?
- What types of hobby do people typically take up after they retire?
- What problems do some people face after retirement?
- What kinds of problem can be caused when the proportion of elderly people in a country keeps rising?
- In what ways might the lives of elderly people be different in the future?
Doing New Things
- Why do you think some people like doing new things?
- What problems can people have when they try new activities for the first time?
- Do you think it’s best to do new things on your own or with other people?
- Why do you think some school teachers use competitions as class activities?
- Is it a good thing for schools to give prizes to those who do well at school?
- What are the negative effects on children of having too much competition?
- Would you say that schools have become more or less competitive since you were younger?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of intensive training for young sportspeople?
- Do you think that competition leads to a better performance from sports stars, or does it just make them more insecure?
- Would you say today’s society is too competitive?
- Do you think people eat healthier food than they did in the past?
- What effects has modern technology had on the food we eat?
- How important do you think it is for families to eat meals together?
- Do you think food prepared at home is always better than food in restaurants?
- Why do people go to restaurants when they want to celebrate important occasions?
- Which are more popular in your country: fast food restaurants or traditional restaurants?
- Why do some people want to start their own business?
- What disadvantages are there to running your own business?
- What advantage are there to running your own business?
- What are the most important qualities that a good business person needs?
- What types of local businesses are there in your neighbourhood?
- Do you think local businesses are important for a neighbourhood?
- How do large shopping malls and commercial centres affect small businesses?
- Why do some people prefer to shop at local businesses rather than at larger stores?
- What kinds of organisation want to find out about people’s opinions?
- Do you think that questionnaires or surveys are good ways of finding out people’s opinions?
- What reasons might people have for not wanting to give their opinions?
- Do you think it would be a good idea for schools to ask students their opinions about lessons?
- What would the advantages for schools be if they asked students their opinions?
- Can you tell me some of the practical things people can do to help their neighbours?
- Why should neighbours help each other?
- Do you think people in small towns help each other more than people in cities?
- Why don’t some people want to help other people?
- Do you think that the government have a responsibility to help people?
- Do some people think that helping people is only the government’s responsibility?
- Do you think that some people deserve help more than others?
- What kind of jobs focus on helping other people
- What qualities do people need to do jobs that involved helping others?
- Some people say that people help others in the community more now than they did in the past. Do you agree or disagree?
- What types of services, such as libraries or health centres, are available to the people who live in your area?
- Which groups of people generally need most support in a community?
- Who do you think should pay for the services that are available to the people in a community – the government or individual people?
- At what age should people retire from work?
- What problems can people face after retirement?
- How important are retirees to your country’s economy?
- When should you start saving for retirement?
- Why do some companies encourage early retirement?
- Why do you think people go to restaurants when they want to celebrate something?
- Which are more popular in your country: fast food restaurants or traditional restaurants?
- Some people say that food in an expensive restaurant is always better than food in a cheap restaurant – would you agree?
- Why don’t some people want to work abroad?
- What are the effects on a country when it accepts a lot of foreign workers?
- Will immigration increase or decrease in the future?
- Is it important for people to learn a foreign language?
- If you want to study a language, do you need to move to a country where that language is spoken?
- How has language learning changed in your country over the past 50 years?
- Do you think it is a good idea for children to study languages?
- What are some ways people study languages outside of a classroom?
- Some people say that it is more important to to learn a new language now than it was in the past. Do you agree or disagree with that?
- When do people like to read the newspaper?
- What does a good newspaper contain?
- Is it important for people to have a choice of newspaper?
- Why do some people prefer to read the news on the Internet rather than in a newspaper?
- Will Internet news ever replace newspapers?
- How is Internet news different from the news you read in the newspaper?
- Why do people still enjoy going to the cinema to watch a film?
- What sort of influence can films have on people?
- Should film-makers be responsible for the impact their films can have on people?
- Where do people in your country buy food?
- What are the advantages of shopping online?
- Are there any disadvantages to buying things online?
- Is it better to buy clothes in small shops?
- What is good customer service in a shop?
- Why do some shops provide better customer service than other shops?
- How important is customer service to the success of a shop?
- Why is shopping such a popular activity?
- What are the advantages to society of a highly developed shopping centre?
- Do people in your country enjoy going to open-air markets?
- Do you think markets are more suitable for people selling certain types of things?
- Do young people feel the same about shopping at markets as older people?
- What are the advantages of buying things in a shop rather than a market?
- Do you think that any recent changes in the way people live have affectedmgeneral shopping habits?
- What do you think we can learn by studying past events?
- Does learning about mistakes from the past help to stop us from making the same mistakes in the future?
- What important events do you think might take place in the future?
- What do some people like to live near water?
- Is reducing water pollution the responsibility of individual nations, or do we need the international community to collaborate?
- What do you think are the functions of rivers nowadays?
- Will the amount of sea transportation increase or decrease in the future?
- What do you think about ships as forms of transportation?
- Why do some people enjoy visiting historical buildings?
- Is it important to preserve historical buildings?
- Should the government be responsible for the maintenance of historical buildings, or should it be left to the private sector?
- What skills and abilities do most people want to have today?
- Which skills should children learn at school?
- Are there any skills children should learn at home rather than at school?
- Is it more important to have skills or qualifications?
- Which skills do you think will be important in the future?
- What do you think people can learn from travelling to other countries?
- Can travel make a positive difference to the economy of a country?
- Do you think a society can benefit if its members have experience of travelling to other countries?
- Do you agree that we learn best from our mistakes?
- What’s the best way to gain experience in life?
- Can we gain life experience from books and movies?
- Which is more important, experience or potential?
- What experience do you wish you’d gained?
- Where can people in your country get information about genetic research?
- How do people in your country feel about genetic research?
- Should genetic research be funded by governments or private companies?
- What kinds of music are popular with young people in your culture?
- What do you think influences a young person’s taste in music?
- How has technology affected the kinds of music popular with young people?
- Tell me about any traditional music in your culture.
- How important is it for a culture to have musical traditions?
- Why do you think countries have national anthems or songs?
- What kinds of home are popular in your country?
- What do you think are the advantages of living in a house rather than an apartment?
- Do you think that everyone would like to live in a larger home?
- How easy is it to find a place to live in your country?
- Do you think it is better to rent or to buy a place to live in?
- Do you agree that there is a right age for young adults to stop living with their parents?
- In what ways do men and women speak differently?
- In your country, do people normally speak to strangers?
- How have games changed from the time when you were a child?
- Do you think this has been a positive change?
- Why do you think children like playing games?
- How can games sometimes help to unite people?
- Why is competition often seen as important in today’s society?
- What types of weather do people in your country like the most?
- What jobs can be affected by different weather conditions?
- Are there any important festivals in your country that celebrate a season or a type of weather?
- How important do you think it is for everyone to check what the next day’s weather will be like?
- What is the best way to get accurate information about the weather?
- How easy or difficult is it to predict the weather in your country?
- In what ways can people in a family be similar to each other?
- Do you think that daughters are always more similar to mothers than to male relatives?
- In terms of personality, are people more influenced by their family or by their friends?
- Should employers encourage their workers to have new ideas about improving the company?
- Do you think people sometimes dislike ideas just because they are new?
- What is more difficult: having new ideas or putting them into practice?
- How can companies succesfully implement new ideas?
- What can schools do to help students prepare for the next stage in their lives?
- What can schools teach children that they can’t learn from their parents?
- Some people think that education should be about memorising the important ideas of the past. Do you agree or disagree?
- Should education encourage students to have their own new ideas?
- How do you think teachers could help students to develop and share their own ideas?
- What advice would you give to someone who doesn’t like school?
- What opportunities are generally available to students after they leave school?
- How does school life differ from university life?
- How important do you think it is for individuals to carry on learning after they have finished school and university?
- Do you think people are born to be leaders?
- Can leadership skills be taught?
- Why are elected politicians often so unpopular?
- What should a leader do to remain popular?
- Do you think unelected heads of state are a good idea?
- What do you think makes someone a good friend to a whole family?
- Do you think we meet different kinds of friend at different stages of our lives?
- How easy is it to make friends with people from a different age group?
- Do you think it is possible to be friends with someone if you never meet them in person?
- What kind of influence can friends have on our lives?
- How important would you say it is to have friends from different cultures?
- What do you think are the most important qualities for friends to have?
- Which are more important to people, their family or their friends?
- What do you think causes friendships to break up?
- What other types of relationship, apart from friends or family, are important in people’s lives today?
- Have relationships with neighbours where you live changed in recent years?
- How important do you think it is for a person to spend some time alone?
- What makes a city beautiful?
- How can local governments help pedestrians?
- Some people believe that city centres should be pedestrianised. Do you agree with that?
- What type of things do young people in your country most want to own today?
- Do you think that owning a lot of things makes people happy?
- Is society becoming too materialistic?
- Do television programmes and movies make people want to get new possessions?
- Are there any benefits to society of people wanting to get new possessions?
- Do you think people will consider that having lots of possessions is a sign of success in the future?